Sunday, September 23, 2007

The most comfortable way of living poor


Teaching they say is the most comfortable way of living poor. Oh! Why teachers and not others? Teachers are the block, mortar, tools and materials that build the world yet Ghana sees them not, when they are counting nation builders.

Teachers in Ghana have been turned into zombies. They are at the 'at-will' beck and call of policy makers and implementers.

I am referring to the recent educational reform. Was there consultation? How much were we involved in the planning of this? Or, are we not the center and the rock of the reform? Em, as for the training, talk less of it. Is there or was there any orientation at all?

Okay, ICT has been added as a subject and some of us would love to teach it but it still remains an undeniable fact that very few teachers out of the whooping lot are computer literates.

My story is a very sad one. I am the bee that produces the honey. I am the goose that lays the golden egg. I am the tree that produces the apple.

Some of my peculiarities (for those of you who know me) are wearing worn-out shoes and toting a deflated stomach.

I walk in the rain and in the scorching sun on my trip to the rectangular classroom to ensure that my pupils are able to spell E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N and also to ensure that they explain that a computer is an electronic device that works under the control of a stored program………

I am a hardworking teacher. No doubt. But I am also the last to receive my take home pay even though it cannot take me home.



No comments: